Tuesday 17 June 2008

My Search for the Imperfect Camera

My love for retro cameras is something that has just about completely taken over my life as of late. I've only had a definite interest in photography since December of '07, with my first actual "real" camera being a Pentax ME Super. Since then, i have bought & sold (on ebay) over sixty cameras, all of which are retro cameras. Out of all the cameras that have crossed my path, the absolute gem of them all so far, would be my Kalimar A 35mm camera.
Why this camera, you may ask? Well, just by looking at it, the Kalimar A doesn't offer much. Equipped with a Terlonon lens, 1: 3.5 / F=4.5mm, the iso only goes up to 200. It doesn't even have a sync hot shoe, an adaptor is needed for the use of a flash. However, this solid little hunk of metal produces some of the softest, vignetted images i've ever seen out of a vintage camera! Made by Taisei Koki Welmy in the late 1950's, this is one camera i will keep with me for years to come! Although my quest for the "imperfect" camera continues, the Kalimar A comes as close to perfect as an imperfect camera can get.

Creek Walkway
to see more photos taken with this camera, click here:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pics, I just bought the Kalimar A based on your recomendation, but cant find much info on it. Can you recommend any links (such as to an instruction manual!). Or offer any tips on using the thing, thanks! Matt

9 July 2008 at 02:16:00 BST  
Blogger omatix said...

hey, matt. there really isn't much info on it anywhere. the most i could find out about is that it was made by Taisei Koki Welmy, in the late 50's.

10 July 2008 at 22:21:00 BST  
Anonymous pumapreto said...

Hi! I am about to buy a Kapsa but it does not include a manual. I wonder if you could scan yours and send it to me. Thanks!

12 October 2009 at 13:53:00 BST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home